Make 'Reasonable Adjustments'
ESL Services provide a broad range of Assisitive Listening Technologies that help to cater for your customers needs…
Why do I need Assistive Listening?
In the UK there are more than 10 million people with some form of hearing loss (that’s 1-in-6 of the UK population), where 2 million of these people have hearing aids and 1.4 million people use hearing aids regularly.
The law states:
BS8300-2:2018 13.2 — “Assistive listening systems enable sound signals to be transmitted to people who are Deaf and hard of hearing, without interference from background noise or reverberation.
An assistive listening system, using induction loop, infrared or radio transmission, should be installed in:
- Check in desks, Border Control Points and Customer service tills: Staff voice (A): Counter loop in all desks
- Help Point, Information Point and Refuge Points: Audio from help point: Integrated loop.
- Appropriate level of provision Lift emergency intercom: Audio from intercom Integrated loop All emergency intercoms
- Ticket window Staff: voice (A): Counter loop and speech transfer system All ticket windows such as transport, theatre, etc.
- Announcements (airports, train stations): PA announcement system: Large area loop or a loop that covers a designated area (which will require clear signage) A designated area (zone) is identified that relates to the announcement and gives maximum coverage (attention is needed to ensure specific zoned areas are looped accordingly).
- Reception and Customer Service desks: Staff voice: Counter loop
- Conference rooms: Presenter’s voice/ AV system: Large area loop
- Meeting rooms: Attendees’ voices / AV system: Large area loop: Microphone type and
coverage needs to be specified correctly
- Boardroom Attendees’: voices / AV system: Large area loop: Microphone type and coverage
needs to be specified correctly.
- Appropriate level of provision Lift emergency intercom: Audio from intercom Integrated loop All emergency intercoms.
- Retail point of sale Staff: voice: Counter loop: Minimum of every other counter provides a counter loop
- Retail point of sale (self-service): Audio from self-service unit: Integrated loop All units